dad may have been right
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
a horrible sinking feeling as you drift to sleep
Wednesday, December 07, 2005
Tying one on...
Yesterday I got my kvetch on about Eugenics and its not often known tie to abortion. Whether or not it still exists is not something I was addressing, as there is actually a logical chain that I am engaging in here. Prepare yourself!

"The ideas of eugenics are based on the assumption that men are unequal, while democracy is based on the assumption that they are equal. It is therefore, politically very difficult to carry out eugenic ideas in a democratic community when those ideas take the form, not of suggesting that there is a minority of inferior people, such as imbeciles, but of admitting that there is a minority of superior people. The former is pleasing to the majority, the latter unpleasing. Measures embodying the former fact can therefore win the support of the majority, while measures embodying the latter cannot." - Bertrand Russel

Wow Mr. Russel, we knew you were a loveable philisiophical/mathematical gadfly, but what exactly are you saying? I mean, unless I am grossly mistaken, you are stating, in your own words now, "Democracy stands in the way (of eugenics) " Holy leaping shit!!! Bertram Russel, enemy of Democracy?!?

Well, not exactly. While he was indeed a large proponent of the control of society and eugenics on the whole, and also the author of some seriously rascist/sexist comments('women are, on the average, stupider than men' being my favorite) there is no empirical evidence that Bertral actively sought the fall of Democracy.

Which is probably a good thing. So, to conclude todays little argument a little early, since I apparently need to go get a haircut, we will reflect that one of the strangest minds on the side of Eugenics, and a Eugenics program has stated that Democracy is the enemy of thier program. We also have seen that seemingly innocuous organizations, that one would assume are for the good of the people who use them, were founded by people who were believers and supporters of this enemy of Democracy.

Where am I going with this?

You'll see. Questions? Fire away. As with yesterday, I've abbreviated arguments for the sake of brevity, you know, the soul of wit.

spouted by Johnny @ 11:36 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Greg said…

    Eugenics. What a topic.

    I feel in part responsible for the interest, since way back when Webshite was alive and well, I once combined the greek prefix "eu" (good) with gene and created a word that, unbeknownst to me, had already been spoken for.

    The result was a sudden and unnaturally earnest verbal assault on me by one of life's bit part characters. I sonned him in the end.

    I guess when I reminisced about this I sparked the curiosity bug in you about the whole truth behind the term.

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger Johnny said…

    Not really, but god, did I get a laugh at the sonning you delievered. Was that actually what caused the blowup at you over on the now defunct webshite? Truth be told, all I remember was the aftermath, not the initiation...and the aftermath was humor enough for me.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

Home: Buffalo, New York, United States
About Me:
This way to disinformation!!
Previous Post
Archives
fuckit bucket

He remembered when all this will be again.

Links
Powered by


BLOGGER